Saturday, July 16, 2011

What should I do about my "backwards" family?

My cousin is in her early twenties and on her own living with her longterm boyfriend, whom she plans to marry in the future. I am also in my early twenties but I just finished college so I'm living with my parents looking for a job, and boyfriend less so when I say she has her own life unlike me, that's what I mean. Anyway, she recently told me that they are having a baby and I couldn't be happier for her, but she's scared to death to tell my mom, aunt and grandma (her parents are deceased) because our family is Catholic and she is afraid that they will be angry at her for not being married, which they will be. I think this is ridiculous. When she finally tells them, how can I make them see how things are different in the world now and that it's not the 50s anymore without offending them? It's her life and they shouldn't be angry at her for living her life, at least that's how I see it...

No comments:

Post a Comment